If you want a thriving online business, then you need to invest in skills. The success of an online business depends on the skills your team has. Whether you are already in a digital business, or thinking to start one, we’ll give you the skills to work with.
Think about other investments like day-trading in Forex. However much you trade, the numbers are against you. The success rate of an online trader is about 1%. But for an online business, the numbers are promising.
With these skills, you will always be okay. You can decide to do freelance work for top agencies. What if you have your business? You can teach your team these skills and outsource some work to freelancers. So let’s get started.
- Copywriting: Copywriting is writing to sell. All web content needs to be written by a copywriter. As a copywriter, you have to understand the psychology of buyers. In addition, you will learn how to research about your audience and the product. As a result, you will learn the skill of persuasive writing.
With a targeted traffic, for example, it’s possible for copywriters to achieve conversion rates of over 11%. You will know how to write Ads that convert, sales pages, web content, brochures, whitepapers, and video sales letters. Also, copywriters are significant people in running successful email marketing campaigns.
- WordPress: Some of the highest-earning web developers use WordPress. So you think WordPress is the future? It’s the present. As a beginner, you can maintain wordpress websites, including yours. Then, you should to understand how to make websites for individuals, ecommerce businesses, and large companies. Finally, wordpress gives you a chance to sell themes and plugins, which makes the platform work.
If you don’t learn this skill, you’ll have to pay someone to do it. That’s an added cost. After learning wordpress skills, you have to find ways of monetizing your website. Through affiliate, dropshipping, creating membership sites, and even offering consulting businesses, you can monetize your website.
- SEO: Do you now how many blog posts are published each day? Every day, there are over 4 million blog content published. In such environment, there is a great need to rank high in search engines. Because majority of traffic is absorbed by websites on the first pages of google.
SEO, an abbreviation of Search Engine Optimization, involves making small tweaks and changes to help one rank high. For example, you need to do keyword research, have outbound links to authority sources, and create unique and helpful content for users.
Be warned that there is a degree to the extent in which you can use SEO techniques. Violation of Google’s SEO policy can make your website permanently blocked. Anyone running an online business can use the Google SEO starter guide to know more about the skill.
- Persuasion and Negotiation: Sometimes you can perfectly convince your prospects through email. They’ll be genuinely interested in your service. But you won’t even close the contract. That’s perfectly normal. But if you don’t close so many potential clients, you definitely need negotiation skills.
You can begin reading published materials on negotiating from Harvard. Books like Getting To Yes, Bargaining With The Devil will give you a negotiating skills. Be sure to practice more, and always be closing deals.
What reasons do you think hinder a prospect from buying? Here are 3 reasons.
- Your prospect has no money – Your services may be too expensive for the prospect. You can show how valuable your service is. Or split the price and offer flexible payments.
- Your prospect has no need – Keep following up until the need arises.
- Your prospect has no desire – You need to add emotions and create an offer that stir’s desire.
- Your prospect doesn’t see the urgency of buying now – You need to explain why they should buy instantly.
In general, people don’t buy because there is a problem. The main problem could be lacking enough money. So many professional negotiators begin by separating the people from the problem. Then focusing on their interests. If you know what interests your buyers, then you can easily excite them to buy your product.
- Graphic Design.
In eCommerce, pictures sell. Websites also have to be attractive. Graphic design is one of the most significant skills you can use to run an online business. The skill will assist you to create copyright-free images, create infographics, design sales pages, design logos and even create a brand.
- Video and Animation: There is a significant growth of videos. Everyone, from fortune 500 companies, through local businesses, to individual enterprises have huge demand for video. While doing facebook marketing for example, video Ads have more conversion rates.
- Digital Marketing.
You get clients through marketing. And online businesses need digital marketing. Unlike traditional marketing, internet marketing is cheaper, and one can track results. So it’s possible to do things like data-driven marketing, social media marketing, and email marketing.
It’s good to integrate traditional marketing and digital marketing. You can design a business card using an online template, which will lead visitors to your website.
The good news. You don’t need to perfect all skills. Just perfect one main skill, and have a brief knowledge about other skills.