Starting a business is a dream for many people. Being your own boss, working for where you want, tapping into your potential to make money. All of these are reasons to start a business. And, even better, it’s possible to start a business that is sustainable and green, and keeping with your values. If you are concerned about the impact that starting a business might have on the environment, you can take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of ways to start a green business.
Green Business: Consulting
Gaining the necessary education, such as a Master of Science in Renewable and Clean Energy degree, from a reputable university gives you the opportunity to explore this industry as a viable career. This degree, which is available through some online universities, allows you to work as an energy consultant, a policy maker, an energy planner, or an energy system designer, giving you the chance to make a real difference. While earning your degree, you will learn about clean energy sources, how they can be applied to energy systems, and how to implement these forms of energy.
If you are knowledgeable in an area related to sustainable living or sustainable practices, you can offer consulting services. You might be surprised at the sort of green consulting you can do, big and small:
- Energy efficiency: If you are a pro at energy use, you can help others. You can perform energy audits, teach classes, and do individual consulting to help homeowners — even other green business owners — make their buildings more energy efficient.
- Gardening: Many people would love to garden, but don’t know how to get started. You could help people in your town start gardens. Show them how to garden organically, helping them choose natural forms of pest control, and providing helpful tips. If you know about small-space gardening or rooftop gardening, you can share your expertise. You’ll be helping others, and the environment, and making money.
- Best practices: Set yourself up as a consultant for governments and businesses about best sustainable practices. You can analyze practices, and then make recommendations and create an action plan to help your clients operate in a more sustainable manner, from better energy practices to going paperless.
- Green building standards: If you are properly licensed and knowledgeable, you can consult with builders and contractors to help them meet the standards that will ensure that their projects are certified as green.
What Does You Green Business Sell?
Of course, you don’t have to be a consultant to have a successful green business. You can also provide needed products and services. Here are some green items to sell:
Cleaning and personal care products: It is possible to set up an e-commerce website that sells green cleaning and personal care products. You can even do this as an affiliate. It’s also possible to make your own household cleaning products and even create your own green personal care products.
- Green transportation: Sell bicycles and scooters. You’ll be encouraging good health as well as a greener way of getting from point A to point B. If you have the skills, you can also offer repair services.
- E-books: You can also sell e-books and course designed to help others live more sustainable lives. Write an e-book filled with recipes for homemade cleaners and care products. Create a small space gardening course, and sell access to that. You might be surprised at what an e-book, priced right, can sell for — and how it can help you earn a little more money.
Remember: Before you start any business venture, you need to find out what licenses are required in your locality, and to make sure you have the right credentials. There a number of creative business ideas available to you. It’s possible to start a green business, earning money while helping (and teaching others to help) the environment. There’s no reason that going green can’t help you earn a little green. “